Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Valentine's Day Mailboxes

Hi Friends!  I hope you all have been well!  I've missed you!  These past two weeks have been extremely busy at work, so I haven't had much time to create.  Now that things have died down a bit, I've had a chance to finish up this project that has been sitting half done on the shelf in my office. :)


This project has been on my TO DO list since last year!  I was inspired by Stephanie Lynn over at Under the Table and Dreaming.  She is always a source of inspiration for me, and this was too cute to pass up!  She made this Pottery Barn inspired version for her little boy. 


For this project, you will need:  a mailbox (small - Target $1.00 bin, large - Michael's), wooden candlesticks, round plaque for base, super glue, craft paint, paint brush, and embellishments (depending on the embellishment you use, you might also need Mod Podge and a foam brush).


I gathered some "prizes" for Kason's (a.k.a. The Monkey) mailbox.  I didn't spend a lot of money.  In fact one of the prizes is a Happy Meal toy from my lunch one day. :)  Other prizes include: crayons, socks, Little People figures, a silverware set, a stuffed monkey, and fruit snacks.


To get started, construct the bases by stacking and gluing the candlesticks on top of one another and then gluing to the round base.


Each base got a coat of white paint.


While the glue and the paint are drying, decorate the mailbox.  I used my Cricut and vinyl to create Kason's Love Rocks themed mailbox and Keith's binary code mailbox.


 Creating Valentine's Day things for a guy is a little challenging.  Even though Keith said I could cover his mailbox in hearts (so love him), I knew that I wouldn't be happy with it.  He is pretty technologically savvy, so I decided to go with I love you in binary code.  I cut it out on vinyl using my Cricut and changed out some of the zeros and ones for I "heart" U. :)


I Mod Podged some floral embellishments onto mine and all of the bases got dressed up with a little craft paint.


I love how each one reflects a little bit of our personalities and I can't wait to start filling these (and opening mine) on the 1st of February!


I love the little "rock hand sign" on Kason's!  Too cool!



Is love in the air around your home too?

I'll be showing these off at my favorite parties!

Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. AWESOME!!!!!!! mine are yet undecorated (3rd year in a row) but this year I opened the 'door' put up the 'flag' & filled them to over flowing w/red & white rose petals & silver shreds :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Haha, the binary code cracks me up... David would love it! :]

    And on a side note... I like that your google ad is for a mailbox right now ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too cute, Erin! I just love these!! I hope yours is filled to the brim with fun stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute!! They would be great for students to create too & an awesome price from Target!

    Kaitlyn @ The Birds Nest

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are so cute ( and I saw those mailboxes at Target!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I've got to get me some of those mailboxes!
    smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I LOVE the mailboxes - and thanks for telling us where to get them. But I REALLY love the fact that I'm not the only one who gets kids meals ;) Grandson still has figured out where I get the toys for him (he's only 3!)

    Please join us this weekend at Passion for Paint and link up your project! Links open Friday night @ 6 pm PST.

    http://MuralMaker1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are sooo cute Erin!! I love the mailboxes and the little painted spindles - just darling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome stuff!!! just loved them!! I will surely try making one!Thanks for sharing!
    valentine-special.forums.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these! Honestly, you continue to amaze me, E, and I've known you for half of my life! I love reading your blog, because I can hear your voice as I read your posts. It's like having a little piece of my best friend every day. :) I can't tell you how much I miss you, and I love you so much....okay, enough mush--I'm starting to cry. LOL Hugs for an awesome day, Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really cute. I feel you on being super busy. I have a ton of valentines projects that I want to do but have no time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so cute, I love Mom's the best. What a fun way to elevate a basic dollar mailbox into something special. Thanks for sharing it on A Crafty Soiree!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG these are the cutest things ever!!! I want a vinyl cutter sooo bad!!! I am from Thanks, Mail Carrier Featured Friday and would love for you to come follow my blog! Brooke
    brookedouglass@yahoo.com
    Girl Boy Girl Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great craft! I'm stopping by on Follow Friday. Nice to meet you!
    Sarah

    http://madisonurbans.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I am just loving mailboxes! And these are adorable. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just adore these. Already have my mailboxes and will be hitting Hobby Lobby TODAY. Thanks for the Fabulous inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are so cute, especially love that the one in binary! I am your newest follower and can't wait to see what amazing project you have next!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great idea! You did a great job! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there! I'm new to blogging, but thought your mailboxes were adorable, so I featured them in my Sunday favorites. Stop by and follow! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How adorable! I would love for you to link these up to my Ten Buck Tuesday post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. visit this site right here high replica bags this page replica bags additional reading replica wallets

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)