Tuesday, August 31, 2010

LOFT Inspired Shoes

Prepare to fall in love...  I was out shopping at the mall on Friday and I came across these lovlies at LOFT.  Aren't they adorable?  With a price tag of $69.50, they were just out of my price range.


Well, you know what happened, don't you?  The "I can make that" syndrome kicked in, and well, I did!  :)


 Would you like a pair too?  Well, get out your glue gun because here's how to do it:

You'll need:  4 - 12 in. x 2 in. strips of tulle, 2 felt circles, feathers, 4 poly satin circles (2 big, 2 small), a rosette, 2 clip on earring clasps, scissors, needle, thread, glue gun, and a lighter.


Let's start by pleating a strip of tulle and forming it into a circle.  Secure the circle with a few stitches from a needle and thread (or hot glue).


Gather, pleat, and turn until you make a full circle.  I used two tulle circles per shoe for volume.


Next, take your poly satin circles and singe the edges with a lighter until they curl up and look like petals.  You will need one small circle and one large circle per shoe. I believe my diameters were approximately 3" for the large circle and 2" for the small circle.


Now it's time to layer.  Start with the felt, glue on your feathers, tulle, big poly satin circle, small poly satin circle, and then your rosette.  You could add a button to the middle of the flower like the inspiration, but I chose to keep mine simple and sweet.  NOTE:  I found my rosette in the remnant section at Hobby Lobby.



After you have assembled your flower, turn it over and hot glue on your clip on earring.  NOTE:  The end of the clasp might be uncomfortable on your toes.  You can put a little piece of felt over the back or use a different type of clip, like an alligator one.


I bought my ballet flats at Wal-Mart on clearance for $7.00!  Talk about taking a ho-hum pair of shoes and making them look like a million bucks!


And because we used a clip, we can take these beauties off and put them on a headband, on a sweater or jacket, or on a handbag.  I love items that serve double or triple duty!  Versatility is my middle name.  :)


This project was so simple, and affordable...not to mention adorable.  Isn't it great making your own version of something because you can custom tailor it for you.  I love my all black version of these shoes.  I will get so much more use out of them.  I have the black flats in brown too, so I'm off to make another pair.

Now go make yourself some LOFT inspired sassy shoes! :)  If you do, please send me a pic!  I would love to see your creations! :)

I'll be linking up to these super parties!



Photobucket

25 comments:

  1. It's okay to have ICTMTM Syndrome (I-can-totally-make-that-myself). I love the way they came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! I love the feathers- they add so much! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial with great pictures! I love your knock off. Probably even better than the original. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! And I love that they are so versatile. Great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your version! Loft is full of inspiration. I just made a bracelet inspired by loft. It's on my blog if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable! I need to make a trip to the shoe department at Walmart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good! These shoes form a distinguishable style statement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are FABULOUS!!
    You should come and link them up to my Making It party!
    Allie
    AllieMakes.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for Linking Up!
    Allie
    AllieMakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so cute! Now I want to make some too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. SOOO cute!
    New follower over from Friendly Friday
    http://tospendorsave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by (well, I guess you kind of camped out!!) my blog...and your super sweet comment! Your tutorials are great, so detailed and helpful! I can't wait to dig through your archives now!

    xoxo, cass

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute! You can't get any better than saving that much money on some new shoes! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, you have done such a nice job! Thank you for sharing the tutorial with us!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are darling! Way cuter than the inspiration! I have more than a couple pair of flats that could use this little trick of a makeover! I love the idea of using clip backs with felt. Genius you are. Pure genius! My 3 chica's will be thrilled with this little art project this weekend! Thanks for the idea!! Please, stop by sometime and say hello!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work! Nice tutorial too. I might have to make these...

    ReplyDelete
  17. So darn cute! And how great that they are clips and can be moved elsewhere!

    Katie P
    Food, Wine, & Mod Podge

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look great! Many options. Thank you for sharing your great project. I will be linking to it.
    Brooke
    thecraftcave.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are sooo classy!! great knock-off, I'm sooo making these:)
    Visiting from http://justsewsassy.com/2010/09/06/monday-yummies-chocolate-coconut-cake-aka-candy-bar-cake/

    ReplyDelete
  20. MY GOODNESS!!!!! Those are ADORABLE!! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Found you at Tools are for Women too and I'm so glad I did! Great job!!!

    Stop by for a visit! We'd love to have you!

    Mallory @ www.classyclutter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute, I like yours better! Found you over at Rory's.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  22. MOST ADORABLE FALL SHOES EV-AH! glad you linked them, I adore them. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. The best habits to style metallic shoes & accessories and stretch off vibrant feelings, then you have property-owning just correct. The best thing about metallic shoes is that they can create beautiful declaration styles with the negligible of exertion.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)