Sunday, October 3, 2010

Spider Web Wall

Hello!  I hope you had a fantastic weekend!  Fall is in the air and it is glorious! :)  Another Monday, another EEK Weeks project!  :)  So excited for this one!


I love today's spider web wall!  It's so simple, it's scary and it makes such a huge impact without a hefty investment!  My kind of craft! 

Let's get started!  You will need:  black yarn, thumbtacks, a nail, a hammer, and scissors (a stepladder comes in handy too).


Start by hammering the nail into the wall.  This will be the main point of the web.


Now push thumbtacks around the perimeter of the wall.  I put one in each corner, and three on each side.  UPDATE:  If you are worried about putting holes in your walls (I understand), then maybe you could use the 3M Command hooks.  They wouldn't leave a mark and achieve the same effect!


Tie the yarn to the nail.  Let's start by making the "spokes" of the web.  Begin to wrap the yarn around the nail, then around each thumbtack, and then back around the nail, and so on.


When you are finished with the "spokes," it will look like this. Already a touch spooky!


Now let's work on the web, start by tying a knot with the yarn around the nail.  Then hold the yarn over one "spoke," wrap it under the "spoke," and then back over (you are just wrapping the yarn all the way around the "spoke").



The circles around the main point of the web should be tight and close together.  As you move further away from the main point of the web, the circles should get bigger and farther apart.


Here is what it will look like when you are finished! :)  I discovered it's best to work with a little bit of yarn at a time so if you run out, just tie off the yarn on a "spoke" and start a new piece of yarn by tying a knot in the same place.  If you run out of wall (see top right corner), just tie the yarn off on a spoke and trim it.


Add a spooky spider (or lots of spooky spiders) and you are set!


Sorry about my hall light getting in the way, but I like this angle better. :)


I love, LOVE the outcome!  It's festive, spooky, and makes a HUGE statement!  ...and let me just say that if you do this for your little boy's Spiderman birthday party, you might be the COOLEST mom on the block! :)

I'll be linking up to
Visit thecsiproject.com






and these fantastic parties HERE!  Happy October, Everyone!

Photobucket

35 comments:

  1. Ok lady... You are AMAZING! I'm super impressed, and I can only imagine that it looks even cooler in person! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wow! My granddaughter makes pom pom and pipe cleaner spiders and is hanging them all over the house, she is going to love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the way you've created your spider web. We make a huge web in our house, but have it "pre-maid" so that we don't have to remake it every year! Love your version better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I don't think I could do the giant spider through...not such a fan of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! My 12 yr old wants a Halloween party this year and I am totally going to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is SO cool! come on over and link up to MMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello- Were having a free beadbaord giveaway! So if your up for the project come over and enter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. E--That is so very cute!!! Once again you impress me :) Love ya girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is such a fun touch. I love how it covers so much wall space! BTW, I'm visiting from Meet and Greet Monday.

    Enjoy the week! :)

    Alison
    http://welcomesunshinehome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. THis is a great decoration idea, especially for a party. Are the tack holes noticeable when you remove them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE how your spiderweb turned out!!! Fantastic job...super tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, fabulous. I love it. I might have to clear off a space to do this.

    Stopping by from Lucky Linky Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely awesome! I cannot WAIT to do this. We usually hang one of those gross white stretchy things from our foyer light fixture and my son LOVES it. I foresee the wall web being an even bigger hit! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG.. I totally LOVE this.. Heck.. I may just do it and leave it ALL year.. bwahahahaha...
    I’m your newest follower Happy Tuesday!!
    I would love for you to stop by...
    Thanks,

    Lisa C.
    http://mommyingonthefly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing! It turned out just wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so clever!! I love that it makes a big statement and it didn't cost much. Such a great idea!!
    ~Stopping by from It's So Very Cheri!~~

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cool looking! What a fun project! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  19. GREAT thinking! Thanks for linking up with Anything Related! ~Bridgette

    ReplyDelete
  20. a says she wants to make this....but she's scared of spiders...so she won't. :)

    New follower from Follow Me Chickee.
    ~K
    bigklittlea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!!! My kids would LOVE that.


    You should enter that in thediyclub.com "Weekly Showcase" party. We have a fun give-a-way each week this month.

    We are looking for crafty talented people to showcase in our eZine-if you are interested let us know.

    Check out our monthly contest as well, we have a $1500 give-a-way--one week left. Check out the guidelines and enter qualifying projects.

    Cheri from ItsSoVeryCheri

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's so cool! I wish I didn't have plaster walls- otherwise I would totally do this. Such an awesome spooky touch!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and extra thanks for leaving your link back to here- your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is amazing! my boys would love this wall!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is awesome! I wanted to do it but the picture on the computer freaked my daughter out. I guess it will have to wait until next year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Umm, that is like the greatest idea EVER EVER EVER! Thank you for sharing! You are a crafty rock star!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW! The web is amazing! I love it!
    New follower here. Love all your wonderful ideas!!

    Angie
    http://create-it-fab.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. WHAT a cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW! that's pretty intense. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great job. I love this idea. I am featuring it tonight at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Erin, make sure you swing by SewWoodsy.blogspot.com for my first ever link party today! This would be a fantastic project to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I found you at Be Different...Act Normal. Your tutorial is fantastic. I put one on my ceiling so I ended up with a few less spirals (hard to reach over my head that much, hehe). Thank you for this!
    http://indigoamethyst.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-party-ready.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing! this is cute, I love your creation, its creative with the spiders and web thing!. Hope to see more creation from your blog.
    --
    San Francisco SEO|Seattle SEO|Seattle Real Estate

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)