Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween

I hope everyone had a safe and happy Halloween!  This was Kason's first time trick or treating and we all had a ton of fun!  I'm so happy with how his costume turned out and I'm glad I gave a go at making it on my own.  It was original, creative, and affordable.

I started with a blazer and a pair of pants that I picked up from a local thrift store.  I distressed both pieces by cutting little bits off from the seams, scraping the fabric with sharp scissors, and cutting small holes.  Then I used Heat and Bond to adhere patches and used embroidery floss to "sew" around the outside of each patch.  I threw them in the wash to complete my distressed look!  For just a few dollars, I achieved a very "Frank" worthy wardrobe.  :)



Then it was on to constructing the head of Frankenstein.  I started with a McDonald's Happy Meal pail.  It fit perfectly on Kason's head and he actually liked wearing it around the house, so it was a win/win situation. 


I cut a piece of polar fleece to cover the outside of the pail and used Fabri-Tac to glue the ends together creating a cylinder.  Next, I cut out a piece of black craft fur and used  hot glue to glue the fur around the top of pail.  I cut the side pieces for the hat and attached them with Fabri-Tac and used a piece of Velcro to attach it under Kason's chin.  I finished it off with black stitches and little, wooden knobs that were painted silver and hot glued onto the sides for Frank's bolts.  Then I just slipped the hat onto the pail and hot glued around the edges to hold it in place.


My little Frankenstein


 
Have a wonderful start to your week!  I'll see you all on Tuesday for Sutch an Inspiration!

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Kason looks adorable! Love his costume! Way to go, Mom! :) Miss you guys so much! Have a great week! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute!! You did a fabulous job on the costume and the Frankie head is just ingenious. Too much fun!! I swear I feel like an official mommy now that I have made my first Halloween costume. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this is just too cute for words! I love it and would love to have you show it off at the All About You Monday link up. http://texasmonkey.blogspot.com/2010/11/all-about-you-monday.html Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute!!! You are a talented mama! and I love seeing a pic of you too...so pretty!!

    ps -- I finished the Eiffel Tower jewelry holder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! I love how this costume turned out!!!! (And that's the cutest little Frankenstein I've ever seen!!)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)