Sunday, March 20, 2011

Baby Shower Decorations to Decor

Hello, Friends!  Happy spring!  How was your weekend?  :)  I'm sorry I've been MIA.  The monkey was sick last week and was in need of some extra Mommy time, so my "fun" job (and my real job) were put on a bit of a hold.  We had a wonderful weekend that ended with a family dinner at our casa.  The hubs, the monkey, two Memas, one Nonno, one Papa, me, a pot of spaghetti, a big bowl of salad, and two pies made for one perfect evening! :)

Last weekend a friend of mine hosted a baby shower for her sister and she asked if I would make a few decorations.  The theme was "Under the Sea" to match the nursery.  I used the bedding as color and image inspiration.  Take a peek:
Isn't it too cute?!  I just love that little octopus.  He is adorable!

My first project was inspired by Michele over at The Scrap Shoppe.  She made these diaper and washcloth cupcakes!  I had never seen them before and instantly knew that they would soon become my GO TO baby shower craft.


I followed Michele's easy tutorial and ended up these cuties.  I wish with all my might I could have found my pinking shears (I hunted for a new pair, but wasn't willing to spend $25 dollars on scissors...I just couldn't do it).  I think the pinking detail adds the perfect finishing touch!




I topped each cupcake off with a pom pom cherry!  An idea I got from Lindsey at BABY BOKY.

Then I made a banner to display at the shower and then move to baby Ian's room when he comes home.  I used chip board circles that I got from the $1 bins at Michael's (all 5 for a $1).


For the octopus and turtle on each end, I uploaded the bedding image into Photoshop, used it to generate a black and white image, converted it to a .svg file using InkScape, and then cut the image using my Cricut.  It sounds super complicated, but it's just a matter of a few clicks.  Once the image was cut, I used a marker to add the detail.  Again, I used the bedding as my guide.




I tied it all together with some "bubble" ribbon.

Next, I made a diaper wreath to greet guests as they came to the shower.  This wreath would also look adorable hanging from the hospital room door and then the "I" can be removed and used as a door decoration for Ian's nursery.




I also made a signature frame so guests could sign with their welcoming wishes for baby Ian.  It's great for mommy to take to the hospital too.  This is a super easy and affordable keepsake.  I was able to make this 11x14 keepsake frame for less than $15.


Of course, you know I had to make Ian his own stylish freezer paper stenciled onesies!  I was inspired to create the "I" onesie by one I saw over at Gabriel's Good Tidings.  The star print onesie got a rockin' guitar and the nautical stripe onesie got a super cute whale.  These were a fabulous find at Wal-Mart for just $2 each.


I love to create decor that serves double duty for mommy and baby later!  Everything can be used as decor in the nursery or by baby after the shower!

Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. SOOOOOOO LOVE It!!!! I'm throwing my friend Jenny a shower in a few weeks and will be borrowing your ideas :) Love it friend!!! Sorry K was sick :( I hope he is feeling much better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job!!! Thanks for linking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! What perfect decorations for the shower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness gracious Erin!! That's amazing!! All the things you made were soooo darling. What a lucky little baby. My favorite were the little onesies. Oh so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome ideas! My sister's shower is next month and I will definitely be using some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin, what a beautiful shower! I love the way you used the nursery bedding as inspiration. The washcloth cupcakes are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great decorations, Erin! Thanks for linky love for my diaper cupcakes. :) I'm loving those adorable onesies!!! Sounds like a super fun shower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, this is something straight out of Martha-Stewart-Land! You nailed this project my dear, absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely adorable Erin! I am stealing that signature frame idea for my son's graduation party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all so cute -- you are so talented!!!
    LOVE the dollar bins at Michaels!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looove this! That wreath is super cute and looks like something I could actually do. Those "cupcakes" are so sweet.

    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Great work ~ those cloth 'cupcakes' are awesome! Thanks for sharing ~ please come by and say hi sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super sweet baby shower decor. That octopus is adorable! Love your cupcakes, you banner, the onsies. I really like the philosophy of being able to re-sue everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your diaper cupcakes! I featured you over at Just Pleased as Punch . Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are all adorable!! What a lucky mom-to-be!!! I love the diaper cupcakes! SO cute!

    I make diaper wreaths too and add on travel size shampoos, powders, diaper cream, etc. And usually add on a teether toy too! Here is a link to a couple I made if you want to check it out!

    http://livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/02/diaper-wreaths.html

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  16. superb! love the diaper cupcakes!

    I am having a giveaway on my blog. $35 + free shipping to get a custom trendy backpack for your kid from Paige Holliday Designs. All you have to do is leave a comment. ends 3/23.

    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/35-store-credit-free-shipping-to-get.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are super cute ideas! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute, Erin!! The cupcakes look real! I am glad your little man is feeling better!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  19. i love all the matching details- bet the momma to be LOVED it all! great job erin!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I absolutely love your ideas! I want to make the wreath for my son, but mine looks nothing like yours. I do not know if I'm using the wrong stuff or not! Could you do a tutorial on how to make it???? Just thought I'd ask :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute baby shower! You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my!!! What a FABULOUS shower!! Everything looks so cute! I would love a tutorial on the wreath too. Thanks so much for sharing. What a lucky baby (and Mommy!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay!!! Thanks so much for linking this up Erin!! I love the wreath so much. And I just found out I'm going to be an aunt (again!!) so now I have great ideas for the baby shower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is all so wonderful, and I extra adore the diaper wreath. It is an awesome new twist on the diaper cake. LOVING IT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw you on TT&J and just wanted to stop by and say hello and tell you your baby wreath is really very cute! all your baby shower stuff is!

    I am having an "every crafty blog" linky party and would love for you to come and join!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful baby shower.I like all these decorations which is done for this baby shower and the theme is the coolest one.Very nice use of this theme.
    Winnie the Pooh Baby Shower

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did a wonderful, wonderful job!!! I absolutely admire all of it! And I'm going to share it with our group members on CafeMom - Holiday and Party Crafts - with a link back here to your tutorials. Thanks so much! ~ Yolanda ~

    ReplyDelete
  28. This post is informative and productive. Many of us will really agree that everything you say in your site is good. If you continue submitting insightful articles or reviews on your web site,
    online florist

    ReplyDelete
  29. Each and every part in this baby shower is eye catching. My sister and I have also been gathering ideas for a cousin’s surprise baby shower. We want to host a family event so would be hosting that at some indoor event venues in Chicago. Quite excited for this fun bash.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)