Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sweater Snowman

Hi Happy Friends!  Here is one of my favorite crafts of all time!  I created this little guy last week for The Scrap Shoppe's Homemade Christmas event!  I think he is just the cutest!  Here is the post in case you missed it over at Michele's. :)

Hello Scrap Shoppers!  I'm so happy to be back for another week of Homemade Christmas!  I'm Erin from Crafts & Sutch.  
I'm a crafty girl at heart and love Christmastime!  I especially love decorating my home for the holidays!  Today we are making a super duper cutie pie snowman out of an upcycled sweater!  Are you ready?


To get started, you will need the sleeve of an old sweater, fiberfill, a glue gun and glue, a wooden spool painted black, two small black buttons, two small holly leaves cut from green felt, a small red button, an orange triangle cut from felt, ribbon, and scissors.  Not pictured:  black felt circle and a scrap of fabric.  Disregard the needle and thread...I made this cutie no sew!


Turn the sleeve inside out and tie a knot around the wrist end of the sweater.


Turn the sleeve right side out and begin to fill with the fiberfill.  This is the snowman's head.  Once it is filled to your desired size, tie a knot directly under the filling.


Fill the body with the fiberfill.


After the body is stuffed, turn your snowman on his head and fold and glue the opening closed. 


I folded it like a present.


This is what you should have so far.


I wanted my snowman to appear a little more "schmooshed," so I glued the head down to the body.


See?  Definitely more "schmooshed" and cuter!  :)  Glue on the black, button eyes and orange, felt nose.


 To create the top hat, glue the wooden spool to the top of the black felt circle.


Add a holly embellishment to the top hat by gluing on the green leaves and the red button.


Glue the top hat on his head.


For the finishing touch, tie a scrap piece of fabric around his neck.  I cut little slits on each end of the scarf to look like tassels.

Isn't he adorable?  I just love him sitting in the little winter wonderland on top of my fridge!  He might need a girlfriend. :)  It would be super easy to change this little guy up by adding different embellishments...perhaps twig arms, a crocheted scarf, or a tiny little pipe?

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy holiday!  I hope you'll stop by Crafts & Sutch to say hi!  Michele, thanks so much for letting me come visit again!  I had too much fun!

I'm linking up to these spectacular parties!


Photobucket

56 comments:

  1. that's freaking adorable!....hmmm...i have just the sweater in mind!...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That actually made me go 'awww' out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing, my friend! I LOVE that little snowman... such and adorable idea! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is absolutely adorable!!! Now I am off to find an old sweater to cut up:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still on the lookout for sweaters! lol! I am SO making some of these guys. Thank you so much for sharing the tutorial during my party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. he's so cute!!! i think he needs a mate, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is too-freakin-cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I said "Awwww" out loud too! LOL! Nice project Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! I am highilghting it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this snowman!! I got in my closet today searching for the perfect snowman (sweater)! lol I must make one.
    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is darling! I have seen him twice now and I had to pop over and tell you how much I love him. (hmmm. maybe I should be his girlfriend? ;) )
    Great job!
    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is the cutest thing ever! when i was scrolling to the end of the linky post at life as lori, this cute little guy stuck out and i knew i must go back and see him! SUPER CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so cute. A year ago I made sweater pumpkins, http://judysturman.typepad.com/in_his_grip/2009/10/sweater-pumpkins.html, I love this snowman and think that I will try him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. how clever! i love repurposing things!

    I'm hosting a giveaway right now that you might be interested in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I seriously love him! I'm featuring this on my blog tomorrow if you'd like to check it out.

    sassysanctuary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So adorable! I love that you can upcycle an old sweater into something so sweet : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. He is so stinkin' cute Erin. So glad you linked him up to my Open House!

    ReplyDelete
  18. He's adorable!
    Also, wanted to let you know I shared a link to him on my blog's, A Glimpse Inside, FB page.
    http://www.facebook.com/AGlimpseInside

    ReplyDelete
  19. A-dorable! I have a little guy made from a tube sock and rice filling that was given to me by a student years ago. I'm thinking he might need a sweater snowman friend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Turned out super cute!!

    Come enter for a free paper bead necklace from Heart Strings for Orphans!

    http://gigglesglitzandglam.blogspot.com/2010/12/gifts-that-give-back-heart-strings.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Great Grandmother made these Years ago. I have them now and it is my favorite Christmas decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness this is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  23. how cute is that!! thank you for sharing this and great tutorial :) happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Soooo cute!! I will have to save this project for after Christmas. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas. Following you now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Soo cute. I will have to wait until I have a sweater I can sacrifice..lol... Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this!! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  27. ...so cute ~so cute. I love him! I want one, so I better get busy. I bought sweaters to make pumpkins. I never made them. The snowman is super fun. I better get busy. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's so clever! He turned out adorable! I hope you'll link him up to my Sew Crafty Party...

    http://wildflowersandwhimsy.blogspot.com/2010/12/startin-early-for-orphaned-no-more.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is super cute and looks so easy to make. I absolutely love the hat and scarf. I never would have thought of using a spool for that!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really darling! When I was volunteering the other day at my son's school, a teacher was doing this project. I could see she was using rice but couldn't get the whole "technique"... so thanks!
    malia
    www.yesterdayontuesday.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love this! I think I could modify it to be glue gun free for my craft club too. Goodness knows I have a ton of spools for hats! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Soooo CUTE!! I love this. I'd love to have you submit it to the M&T Spotlight: http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello! I'm from Ukraine. It's so nice to meet your cute snowman :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just dropping by to let you know that I linked to this post in a round up today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) This will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-snowman-ideas/

    If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just darling! And simple! I love snowmen. I may have to give this one a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  36. oh my gosh! that is the cutest snowman ever! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. He really is so cute - and I just remembered that I have an old sweater in my DI pile! :) I'll have to let you know how it goes! :D

    ReplyDelete
  38. I made a kit for my husband's little cousins for Christmas from this, and I made a completed one for my mom, and they all LOVED them! I've got one sleeve left for myself. :) I couldn't find (nor did I have) a spool to color black, so I had to improvise. I used a 2 inch x 4.25 inch strip of black felt and made a cylinder with it. Then I hot glued it to a square just slightly bigger than the circle, let it cool, and cut the edges off. I then cut the bottom brim and glued the other side down, so the hat is ALL felt.
    I also had problems with my snowman tipping over, so when I do my own, I'm going to add a small bag of plastic pellets in the bottom to help keep him upright.
    Thanks for the fabulous tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Just stopping by to let you know that I have featured your project on Fun Family Crafts! You can see it here
    http://funfamilycrafts.com/sweater-snowman/

    If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them :) If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi there! I loved this so much that I featured it in my "100 Jolly Christmas Crafts & Decorations"! Have a great day! http://www.aspectacledowl.com/100-christmas-crafts-decorations/

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have been surfing the internet looking for "easy" crafts to donate to our church's fundraiser coming up in Nov. I am NOT a crafty person so I have been stressing out about this! And look what I find! Yippee! I think this is easy enough that even *I* can do it! I don't think it will cost me much and I think the church will be able to price them high enough to make a decent amount. Thanks so much for sharing this...I'm going out to Goodwill today to start looking for white sweaters... =)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wonderful, as alternatives you could use a white sock if sweater not available and a baby sock instead of cotton reel. Enjoy making

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)