Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Wire Ornaments

Hello and happy December!  :)  I'm so excited it's finally here!  I've been doing a few Christmasy projects, but haven't put anything up just yet.  I hope to have it all done by the weekend and start posting some pics soon!

Here is the guest post I did for Under the Table and Dreaming's handmade ornament event last week just in case you missed it.  If you didn't get to take a peek at all of the ornaments, I encourage you to head over there!  There was so much inspiration in a few short days!

Today we are making wire word ornaments.  Here's a peek at JOY!


You will need the following supplies to get started:  craft wire (I used 20 gauge), wire cutters, buttons, and a pencil or skewer.  Optional supplies:  round nose pliers, scrap fabric, and ribbon.

NOTE:  I found the Make It Christmas brand glitter wire - 20 gauge was the easiest to work with and most forgiving.  It is sold at Hobby Lobby and Michael's.


Without picking up your pen, jot down the words you want to create out of wire.  This will act as your guide when you are creating the ornament.


Cut a length of wire with wire cutters.  The length will depend on the word you are making in wire, but a good rule of thumb is to cut more than you think you need.  18" is a good starting point.


Begin to shape the letters.


I like to use buttons for the letter O.  Thread the wire through one hole in the button, make a kink in the wire, and then thread the wire through the second hole.


Continue to shape the letters.  If you come to a letter like the Y, where the wire will lay over itself, just give it a good squeeze with your fingers or round nose pliers.


Finish the wire word by looping it around the end of a round pencil or skewer.


Cut a length of wire for the hanger, make a loop on each end using either a pencil or round nose pliers, and attach it to the word.


Add ribbon, scrap fabric, or other embellishments.


Here are a few others that I made:  NOEL with an ivory button and scrap fabric.


LOVE with a gold, heart button for the O and cream ribbon.


I love adding ornaments to packages for a little something extra.  Wouldn't it be so sweet to create the recipient's name and use it as a gift tag?  :)


Thank you so much for letting me spend some time with you all today!  I wish you a wonderful holiday season and I hope you'll stop by Crafts & Sutch sometime to say hi!

I'll be linking up to these wonderful parties!


Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! Great idea!
    I work with wire for some time, but discovered sewing recently and wire took second place but, after this inspiration, I guess I'll go grab it and make some ornaments/gift tags (wich I think will still count as gift, who'd throw away a lovely ornament or his/her own name? ^^)

    I'm having a giveaway at my blog, you're welcome to enter - htpp://soscraft.blogspot.com

    Happy Holidays!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just too cute, Erin! You make it look so easy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So small and subtle, I love these. And using them as a gift tag is an excellent idea! I was thinking of trying this why silly fuzzy pipe cleansers.

    I would love it if you shared this craft on my Holiday Link Share: http://bit.ly/h0FA83

    :) it's a great idea that should be shared!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so great Erin! I haven't seen that glitter wire...oh darn...an excuse to go to Michaels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love, LOVE! I have got to try this... Love them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great!

    Melissa
    http://www.burstsofcreativity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this. I'm highlighting it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love them! I want to make some Hope, Love, Joy, and Peace for my inspirational tree in my kitchen.

    Stop by and see me sometime over at Free 2 Be Frugal! I made glittery monogram ornaments this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great! I love the buttons. Cute, cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your wire ornaments are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these! What a great idea! I am so nervous to try though, wire scares me!

    Stopping by from Crystal's Craft Spot.

    Cyn from http://cynspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are fun, Erin. Thank you for the tutorial.
    This is my first visit to your blog, come by and visit at Decorating My Tin Shack if you get a chance.
    Hugs
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. how beautiful! I'm not sure I could make my words look as elegant and perfect as yours but thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE THIS! Especially the addition of the buttons, you're so smart. Gotta make some of my own today, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is SO cute. What a great idea to use the thin wire. I've seen wire art before and tried it but it was difficult to work with. This looks attainable. Thanks.

    Elisabeth @ Treasuring the Moments.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS! way TO GO! jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the wire words! I might have to give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this idea. I hope to have some time to make a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOU HAVE BEEN FEATURED AT CRAFTOMANIAC! thanks Jen

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)