Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sweater Trees

Howdy!  I hope you've had a most wonderful weekend!  I've been trying to get all of the presents wrapped and under the tree.  I'm such a procrastinator when it comes to wrapping.  I've been know to shove presents and tissue paper into Christmas bags outside my mom's house on Christmas Eve right before we open gifts.  :)

In case you missed me over at Pocket Full of Pink last week, here is the tutorial I shared on upcycling sweaters into Christmas decor!

Hello Pocket Full of Pink Readers!  I'm Erin from Crafts & Sutch and I'm so very happy to spend some time with you today!
I love all things crafty and have been diagnosed with "I can make that" syndrome. I am constantly inspired by the things I see, so I like to create a little bit of everything. :) Today we are getting into the holiday spirit and making some sweater trees!


To get started, you will need a paper mache or Styrofoam tree form, an old sweater, scissors, a glue gun and glue, straight pins, and a pencil or pen.


Lay the tree form down on the sleeve of the sweater with the top of the tree at the wrist end of the sweater.  Cut across the sleeve approximately 1" below the end of the tree.


Put the tree into the sleeve and create a slip cover for it by pinning down the length of the tree.  The sweater should be snug, but not tight.


Now fold the end of the sweater under the form and glue with the glue gun.


Remove the excess sweater by cutting along the inside of your pins.


It will look like this.  Take the pencil or pen and draw a straight guideline for yourself down the length of the tree.  This is where you will glue the sweater together.


Glue the sweater along the guideline.  Create a neat seam by pushing each side together.


This is what the back of the tree will look like after you have glued the sweater in place.


And here is the finished product...along with a friend!  I am loving how these turned out.  They were super easy to make, quick, and affordable!


Thank you so much for letting me hang out with you today and thank you to Karen for having me!  I hope you all will stop by Crafts & Sutch sometime and say hi! :)

I'm linking up to these awesome parties!

Photobucket

23 comments:

  1. Way to recycle cute sweaters! That syndrome is something, isn't it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I love the way these look! So cozy and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these, Erin! They are definitely on my to do list with the sweater snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to upcycle...I've been on a tree-making kick myself...but have no sweaters to spare given Chicago's weather...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these. I have developed a love for everything sweater and these are fabulous!!

    Kisses
    Heather from WhipperBerry

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute cute cute! I love them, and such a unique idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hah, nice! That is pretty awesome. :)I wanna try this now.
    Visiting from http://upthehillbothways.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a cute craft. They look so modern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are cool...I'd love to stay and chat but I"m going to rush to Goodwill before all the sweaters become trees! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SUPER CUTE!!! Now all I need to do is find sweaters in the colors of my decor!!!!

    Just Another Day in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO cute! And I love that you don't have to sew to make these

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so fun, I love that you used an old sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and "warm" idea.:))
    Greetings from me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE the look of these trees. Nothing like fabric to add some warmth to decor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I found you at Life as Lori and I am loving your blog! I wanted to invite you to enter my $30 CSN giveaway going on this week! Keep up the great blogging and happy holidays!

    http://dirtcheapdecoratingdivas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post so much I featured it today at my Hookin' Up with HoH Link Party!

    Stop on by and grab a button! You deserve it!! ;)

    ~Allison @ House of Hepworths

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)