Sunday, February 20, 2011

Veggie Chili

Hello Sweet Friends!  I hope you all had a great weekend!  The weather was perfect here in Texas, so we spent some time outside everyday.  Long walks, breakfast with a good friend, some delicious veggie chili, at home movie night with the hubs, and a trip to the park rounded out a fantastic weekend at the Sutch residence.  :)  What did you all do?

The hubs is one of those guys that thinks dinner is not dinner if there is no meat.  :)  Any other hubs like that?  Well, I decided to give a vegetarian meal a try to see if he would miss the meat.  Enter Veggie Chili!


I used this recipe from Kraft Recipes.com as a starting point and added my own flair.

Here is Kraft's recipe (my edits are in green):

What You Need

  • 1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes, undrained, cut up - (1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes)
  • 1 jar  (16 oz.) TACO BELL® HOME ORIGINALS® Thick 'N Chunky Salsa (I used a generic brand)
  • 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 pkg.  (10 oz.) frozen corn - (1 16 oz. can of no salt added corn)
  • 1 cup halved zucchini slices
  • 1 tsp.  chili powder - (I used a boat load!  I would say at least 4 tsp.)
  • 1 pkg. (7 oz.) KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Mild Cheddar Cheese, divided 
  • 1 small onion diced
  • 1/2 small green bell pepper diced
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • a few sprigs of cilantro (optional)

Make It

SAUTE onions and green bell pepper until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft
COMBINE all ingredients except cheese in saucepan.
BRING to boil on medium-high heat; simmer on low heat 10 min., stirring occasionally.
SPOON 2 Tbsp. cheese into each of 8 soup bowls; top with chili and remaining cheese.
FINISH with cilantro.

This recipe was super simple, quick, and delicious!  It's hearty and healthy!

Even the monkey loved it.  I just spooned his over some whole wheat pasta because he isn't a pro at using a spoon just yet. :)

Here is the monkey's reaction when I asked him if he liked his veggie chili:


LOL!  Take two!



For the record, the hubs did comment about the lack of meat, but I think it's only because I said it was veggie chili.  He still gave it two thumbs up though! :)

See you tomorrow for Sutch an Inspiration!  I'll be linking up to a few of my favorite parties!


Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. I made chili this past week using ground turkey instead of beef, and it was tasty. My dogs would love having your son around at the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have the same meat or no meat dilemma in our house..i hear a lot of "real men eat meat" around here :) this looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy!! I haven't noticed before if the hubs complains about lack of meat at dinner... Maybe I just turn a deaf ear to any complaints though! lol! Love the videos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds/looks really good! I cook mostly vegetarian at home, so I will have to try this one. I host a weekly recipe link up over at my blog site on Sundays. Would love it if you checked it out and considered linking your recipe! Here is the direct link: http://golden-reflections.blogspot.com/2011/02/recipe-of-week-no-bake-pie.html

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a pretty good weekend too until Saturday when my oldest started getting sick, but we did get to enjoy the weather for a little while. My honey is the same way about meat at dinner time, but that sounds really good I think I'll have to give it a try. (Oh and very cute video by the way!)

    Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mine is the same way - it feels like that old Wendy's commercial. haha. And my father-in-law is even worse!!
    This sounds soooo good though. I think I'll give it a try and just not mention the meatlessness. ;)Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Erin,
    Your Chili looks great, I like your combination of flavor. Thank you for sharing and you have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love veggie chili and am always happy to add a new recipe to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I love meat-free recipes & I love chili. New follower, so glad I found your great blog!
    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you for linking up to tuesday night supper club...this is a great addition...and you know how yummy i think it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so so good. It is definitely going on my new recipe list!
    THanks for sharing. Would love for you to join "scrumtrulescent Saturdays over at born-again crafter! It's a recipe party!
    http://bornagaincrafter.blogspot.com/2011/02/scrumtrulescent-saturdays-party-green.html
    Thanks again!
    Lyssa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just randomly stumbled across your blog
    and I LOVE it.

    Stop by and say hi!
    www.itsybitsybrianna.blogspot.com

    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! :)